Life after Hurricanes Irma and Maria
Thank you for everyone’s concerns and well wishes since Huricanes Irma and Maria. Capt Jeff, Maggie and I are safe and were all on Island during these two massive Category 5 hurricanes. Irma was the largest storm ever recorded in the Atlantic ocean, with sustained winds of 185 mph and recorded gusts of 225mph. The devastation was on par with an apocalyptic event. Then, thirteen days later, Maria comes by and the eye was approximately 50 miles from Tortola. This hurricane was one of the fastest recorded going from a Cat 1 to Cat 5 in 24 hours.
I made the decision to evacuate Maggie to friends in NC via St Croix. Since Maria grew so large and quickly, it was unfortunate that her flight was cancelled and she had to stay with her host family through Maria. Her second Cat 5 direct hit. She ended up staying on St Croix with the Hawkins family for 12 days until I was able to bring her home through the help of a humanitarian aid team, Angel Flights, who flew me to St Croix on their Cessna to get her.
Reunited after 12 days
She was chained into her slip on 7 separate pylons at Village Cay Marina during Irma and was lifted up onto the dock. Part of the concrete finger slip is no longer there.
She endured a beating and I hope she is not out of the game. My plan is to get her up and running as soon as possible, but we are still waiting on the insurance.
Adventure Charters is not closing its doors. We are determined to get up and running as fast as we can to continue to offer the best ‘all inclusive’ day sails in the BVI’s. We do not know what the immediate future holds for this upcoming season as there is a lot of work to do to put this Island back in working order to get it back to International safety standards for tourists. The Government seems to be giving it priority, as the tourist industry is its backbone and lifeline. Being on Island, we are able to see the daily progress, from cleaning up all the tree limbs, galvanized roofs and debris and are determined to help rebuild our resilient community.
I took the liberty of refunding every deposit through April next year since we are truly in limbo, with the season and the boat repairs. I didn’t want to hold onto your deposits until we get closer to the dates, it is likely a lot of cruise ships are already focusing on new routes for the immediate future, and many villas and hotels are extensively damaged. If you wish to reschedule/book for the latter part of the season, please feel free to contact me via email and I take your new reservation without a deposit.
Face book/Trip Advisor
Although it may be several months before we can continue our day sail business, if you have sailed with us and have not yet written a review, this is a great time. This will not only be helpful to us to keep moving up the ratings, but also extremely helpful to the tourism in the British Virgin Islands. Please consider writing a Trip Advisor review by clicking this link. This gesture will go a long ways in helping my little company limp along.
Again, thank you for your continued support and I will continue to post updates to the face book page and the website for your information.